In addition to the Coach to Communicate module, parents are welcome to complete any of the following training modules, which can be accessed through both the PREP Parents and PREP (for educators) courses. Visit the PREP website to access these training modules.
Coach to Communicate
Our Multimodal Communication webinar gives parents tools to help their child with autism spectrum disorder improve their communication skills. After viewing the webinar and completing the post-assessment, parents who are interested in learning how to apply the webinar concepts to their own situation through online, individualized parent training sessions are invited to read and fill out the information and consent form.
Behavior Reduction Trainings
- Functions of Behavior ~ An introduction to why behaviors occur and under what circumstances. Strategies to help diminish challenging behaviors and establish desired behaviors are introduced.
- Differential Reinforcement ~ Learn more in-depth reinforcement strategies for ways to increase appropriate behavior and reduce challenging behavior.
- Antecedent Strategies ~ Learn interventions that help prevent behaviors from occurring, by addressing events that happen before the challenging behavior, after determining why a behavior occurs.
- Extinction Procedures ~ Learn about behavior intervention procedures that withhold a reinforcer that had previously been maintaining a challenging behavior, resulting in the 5extinction of the challenging behavior.
Skill Acquisition Trainings
- Reinforcement ~ Strategies for increasing the likelihood that a desired behavior will occur again in the future under similar circumstances through a variety of reinforcement plans.
- Fading ~ Strategies for slowly removing prompts in order to allow your child to perform desired responses and actions independently.
Functional Communication Training
Explore the correlation between problem behaviors and the challenges faced by many individuals with autism spectrum disorder to appropriately communicate their needs. Understand the progression of assessing the purpose of the individual’s behavior, to determining the best course of action to increase desired behaviors and communication skills while diminishing problem or challenging behaviors.
- Functional Behavioral Assessments ~ Using available assessment practices to understand the cause of behaviors, so that the most successful behavioral change strategies can be determined.
- Conducting Preference Assessments ~ Learn about assessment methods to determine the best reinforcers for your child in multiple situations.
Transition Preparation Training
Learn how to determine a coordinated set of activities within a results-oriented process, that is focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the child with autism to facilitate the child’s movement from school to post-school activities, including:
- Post-secondary education
- Community participation
- Vocational education
- Integrated employment (including supported employment)